Monday, April 10, 2023

The Flamethrowers, by Rachel Kushner



 
This is just a quick review of a book that was not a Netgalley read for me, but I did obtain a free copy for subscribing to Simon & Shuster's Off the Shelf newsletter.  The only catch? These freebies are available on the Glose application or website only.  Personally, I do not recommend reading books this way. (For entertainment, read the reviews on Google Play.) This is a long book that took me even longer than usual because--Glose. Glose aside, I'm really glad to have had the incentive to read this book.

________________________


Rachel Kushner's writing is awesome. Her prose pulls me in so well that I can keep reading the finest, most stunning details. I didn't always know where this story was going, but that's because it's more of a becoming than a story. There are many stories included in these pages, but the main protagonist is a strong young woman coming into her own, against a backdrop of a burgeoning woman's movement and a changing global climate in the late 1970s. 

____________________________

This title is not available in ebook format at my local library, but there is a hardcover edition, with no waiting list. I'm thinking out loud here, regretting my decision to tough it out online. Just sayin'.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Dark, by Lisa Jewell

Breaking the Dark was my first experience with Lisa Jewell. I’d been curious to read one of her novels, and am grateful to Netgalley and Hyp...