Thursday, February 16, 2023

Clytemnestra, by Costanza Casati



Greek mythology is usually fascinating, and this novel lives up to that expectation. I did not remember much of the Greek mythology I’d read, and certainly did not know who Clytemnestra was until reading Costanza Casati’s work. 


Born in Sparta to a ruthless Spartan King, Tyndareus,  and Leda, the intelligent, shrewd queen, Clytemnestra is brought up to be the same. She is trained to fight and to value power and dominance. Unfortunately, Tyndareus’s daughters would all find what is was to be their father’s pawns, traumatic for women who were trained to be strong.


Clytemnestra’s character is imagined with nuanced complexity. She rages with hatred, wanting vengeance for those she has lost, but is also capable of intense love. Clytemnestra is one well-written, solid protagonist.


Her royal family is also depicted in detail, especially Helen, who I’d incorrectly associated with Troy instead of Sparta. There is more than one version of Helen’s story, but now I will forever  think of her as married off to a brute, used by her father for a power alliance. This story did not depict Helen as a demigod, though she was rumored to be the daughter of Zeus.


Ancient Greece is shown to be a harsh world, where Clytemnestra suffers unimaginable losses and indignities, but eventually rises to the top, to be a ruler like no other woman. While reading this novel, I had to remind myself that this is mythology, not history. This chronicle feels real. 


I enjoyed this immensely, Thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Landmark for this opportunity.


_________

It seems like a long time since I wrote in this space, but then, I did take some time off from Netgalley to read a couple other books, one of them quite long. It's good to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Dark, by Lisa Jewell

Breaking the Dark was my first experience with Lisa Jewell. I’d been curious to read one of her novels, and am grateful to Netgalley and Hyp...